News‎ > ‎

Seniors Lose To Neighbours

posted 8 May 2011, 14:19 by Shaun-Marty Lawless

Sunday May 8th

Ballyhegan Davitt's v Grange St Colmcille's

Very Blustery conditions greeted this fixture in Ballyhegan Park, for this second local derby in the space of four days.

Grange started brightest after five minutes, Grange pointed from young midfielder Ethan Rafferty.

A minute later Michael McKeever replied from a free kick, following the foul on Aidan Kelly in the corner.

The Grange men would now go on a spell of dominance, scoring five points without reply all from play, including two classy finishes from wing forward Eoin Rafferty, another from Ethan Rafferty and one from full forward Conor Scully, when a goal seemed on!

Mark Hughes stemmed the tide in first half injury time, converting a free kick from 30 metres out following a foul on James McKeever. From the kick out Davitt's worked the ball back in to Shane McCormack who drew a fantastic save from the Grange keeper.

There was still time for the Grange to tag another two points before the half time whistle, six now the difference leaving Ballyhegan lots to do in the second half!

Half Time: Ballyhegan 0.02 v Grange 0.08

The half time team talk seemed to do the trick. In the third minute Michael McKeever converted his second point of the game, a free kick from about 45 metres from goal.

After five minutes a high ball into full forward Michael McKeever, caused problems for the Grange full back line and Jack Wilson pounced on the break, driving the ball to the net, and reducing the deficit to two points, game on!

Two minutes later Paul Courtney performed a single handed catch & fed Cathal McNeice, Aidan Kelly finished off the nice move.

Grange had a chance to extend their lead a minute later only Davitt's corner back Joey Murphy blocked the Grange full forward, Conor Scully's effort.

Plunkett McCormack scored from a free kick on the right hand side, taking over free kick duties from the now injured Michael McKeever.

Mark Hughes then scored his second point, another free kick in front of the goals, following a trip on Shane McCormack putting Ballyhegan in front for the first time in the game.

Shane McCormack himself got on the score sheet with only five minute remaining, a super effort with the left boot finishing after good work from James McKeever.

Grange replied a minute later, their first score in the second half, a big score from Colm Nugent.

Shane McCormack got his second collector's item point with the left boot, after an Eoin Reynolds pass, three minutes left & Ballyhegan in front by two points.

The Grange men somehow rallied, to score the last 3 points of the game, the last two from the place balls and win the contest by the minimum.

Full Time: Ballyhegan 1.08 v Grange 0.12

A tale of two halves, Grange dominated the opening half, & Ballyhegan the second, almost completing a marvellous come back, but to lose at the death.

In Defence Joey Murphy & Sean McNally battled well, whilst in attack Shane McCormack in the second half in particular caused the full back line lots of problems.

Best wishes to the injured Micky McKeever, get well soon!

Ballyhegan Team lined out as follows:

Jonny McKeever, S. McNally, P. Courtney, J. Murphy, C. McNeice, P. McCormack 0-01 (1f), J. Guy (G. Quinn, 40), Mark McKeever, M. Hughes 0-02 (2f), A. Kelly 0-01, J. Wilson 1-00, C. Williamson (E. Reynolds, 44), James McKeever, Michael McKeever 0-02 (2f) (S. McNally, 56), S. McCormack 0-02