News‎ > ‎

Seniors Lose to An Port Mór

posted 15 May 2011, 13:50 by Shaun-Marty Lawless   [ updated 25 May 2011, 07:26 by Unknown user ]

Sunday May 15th
 An Port Mór O'Neills v  Ballyhegan Davitt's

Overcast skies & drizzle welcomed Ballyhegan in Blackwatertown on Sunday, for a Division Three match both teams eager to gain the much needed points, after similarly poor starts to the 2011 season.

An Port Mór started brightest taking a two point lead in the opening three minutes of the game a free kick and a tidy score from the play from the centre half back.

Paul Courtney replied for the visitors a minute later before Davitt's had their opening goal chance of the game. Gavin Quinn had a shot blocked & Paul Nixon almost snuck in to direct the ball goal-ward, only for the defender to get back and save.

The sides were level at the half way stage in the first half, Aidan Kelly pointing from play.

With five minutes remaining in the half Shane McCormack took on two defenders and swept the ball past the keeper, following good work from Paul Nixon & Cathal McNeice, putting the Davitt's in front for the first time in the game.

James McKeever then scored a super point two minutes later, following good fielding from Paul Nixon.

A point in Injury time from the Blackwater men left a goal between the sides at the end of the first half.

Half Time: An Port Mór 0.03 - Ballyhegan 1.03

Substitute Gary McKeever converted a free kick awarded for a foul on Mark Hughes in the opening stages of the second half.

An Port Mór replied with two points in a couple of minutes, the first a free kick, the second an excellent point from range, after good build up, two points the difference.

Shane McCormack then missed an easy opportunity to restore the lead, hitting the post from a free kick.

After ten second half minutes Gary McKeever scored his second point, converting another free kick awarded for the foul on Cathal McNeice.

Centre half forward Shane Nugent responded with a point from play for the hosts, before Midfielder Michael Casey converted two free kicks to reduce the deficit to the minimum.

Mark Hughes interrupted the hosts good spell, scoring an excellent point from a tight angle on the right.

With three minutes remaining Paul Nixon extended the Davitt's advantage to two points and the Blackwater men replied with a point, again from midfielder Casey, converting yet another free kick to leave a point between the sides as the game entered injury time.

At the death, a concentration lapse in the Ballyhegan rearguard, allowed a high looping ball kicked goal-ward to bounce, on the line, hit the cross bar & come out – however, the umpire awarded a goal & the referee agreed.

A cruel way to lose a game, as An Port Mór now finished the game two points in front.


Full Time: An Port Mór 1.09 - Ballyhegan 1.07


More injury concerns this week as Sean McNally had to visit the hospital with an elbow injury. Best wishes & get well soon!

Paul Courtney & Mark Hughes comfortably won their midfield duels, however, Ballyhegan will be frustrated that possession could not be converted to scores. Substitute Jarlath McCann had a super outing in the full back line and Paul Nixon was again best of the forwards.

Ballyhegan Team lined out as follow

Jonny McKeever, S. McNally (J. McCann, 11), M. McKeever, J. Murphy, C. McNeice, P. McCormack, G. Quinn (T. Keegan, 52), M. Hughes 0-01, P. Courtney 0-01, P. Nixon 0-01 (1f), J. Wilson (E. Reynolds, 56), A.Kelly 0-01 (M. Courtney, 51), N. Fearon (G. McKeever 0-02 (2f), 30), S. McCormack 1-00, James McKeever 0-01