News‎ > ‎

Seniors Exit Championship

posted 8 Sep 2013, 05:29 by Shaun-Marty Lawless

Saturday September 7th 2013

Junior Championship

Ballyhegan Davitts v Annaghmore Pearses

Ballyhegan met near neighbours Annaghmore on Saturday evening in a rain soaked Abbey Park, in the Quarter Final of the Junior Championship. Davitt’s playing in their fourth Championship fixture of the year, following the Tullysaran trilogy, and hoping to spring a surprise result, against most people’s Junior favourites this year.

Annaghmore started brightly, with two points in two minutes confidence flowing early on.

Paddy Marley replied for Ballyhegan with a converted free kick after five minutes and Conor Morgan struck an upright a minute later, following a super pass from Jack Wilson.

Annaghmore got the opening goal of the game inside ten minutes and kicked four points in a row to build an eight point lead after the first quarter.

Ballyhegan obviously rattled early on, managed to steady the ship and counter with a brace of points after twenty minutes. First Mark Hughes kicked a lovely score from 35 metres with his right boot, followed by a Paddy Marley converted free kick.

Annaghmore cancelled out those two scores, with two of their own before Ballyhegan’s Plunkett McCormack kicked over with his left boot, for the final score of the half, seven points the difference on the whistle.


Half Time: Ballyhegan 0.04 Annaghmore 1.08


Davitt’s now attacking the clubrooms end of Abbey Park in the second half attacked down the right wing early in the half, and a cross field pass found Shane McCormack in space. The Annaghmore defence stood firm forcing McCormack to lay off the ball and John Guy was on hand to tap over the bar for the opening point of the second half.

The sides exchanged converted free kicks, Plunkett McCormack kicking his second left footed point of the game for Ballyhegan, before the killer blow of a goal as the game entered the final quarter, the deficit now nine points.

Paddy Marley converted another two free kicks before the finish, but the stronger Annaghmore outfit kicked another three points, and fisted their third goal of the game, adding some gloss to the result and laying down a marker for the rest of the Championship.


Full-Time: Ballyhegan 0.08 Annaghmore 3.12


This game followed a similar pattern to league game back in June, Annaghmore started and finished the game very strongly, with Davitts having limited spells of possession.

Unfortunately too many wayward passes invited a potent Annaghmore attack too much possession and ultimately too many scoring chances.

We wish Annaghmore the best of luck in the rest of the Championship.


Ballyhegan Team lined out as follows:

Jonny McKeever, T. Keegan, M. McKeever (R. McCormack, 48), R. McKeever (J. McCann, 54), C. Loughran, P. McCormack 0.02 (2f), J. Wilson, C. Morgan, C. Williamson, M. Hughes 0.01 (M. Hamill, 53), J. Guy 0.01, J. Rafferty, James McKeever (E. Reynolds, 36), S. McCormack (J. Murphy, 37), P. Marley 0.04 (4f)