News‎ > ‎

Seniors defeat Killeay II

posted 6 May 2012, 11:16 by Shaun-Marty Lawless   [ updated 6 May 2012, 11:18 ]

Sunday May 6th 2012 Junior League

Ballyhegan Davitts v Killeavy St Monnina's II

Ballyhegan got off to the perfect start on Sunday hosting Killeavy St Monnina's II. Corner forward Paddy Marley scoring a second minute goal, intelligently finding space within range of the goal, Conor Morgan's supplying the fist pass, following Michael McKeever's break ball.

A minute later Philip Kelly was fouled 25 metres out to the left of the goals, and Paddy Marley stepped up to split the posts.

After ten minutes Philip Kelly got on the score-sheet, converting a free kick following a foul on live-wire Paddy Marley, and two minutes later Marley converted another free kick for an off ball foul, in front of the posts.

James McKeever was unfortunate with an effort that came off the post on the quarter hour mark, but Philip Kelly used his less favoured right boot to score following good accurate passing from both Paul Courtney & Paddy Marley.

Paul Courtney got in on the act, scoring his first point of the day with a lovely strike across the ball, with the outside of his right boot, from 35 metres out and Paddy Marley Marley registered his third point fisting over the bar after an incisive run inside, across the touchline.

The South Armagh visitors regrouped and scored two quick points, their first of the game, approaching the final five minutes off the half.

The Davitts continued to dominate exchanges and finished the half well.

Firstly Philip Kelly converting another free kick, after James McKeever dragged to the ground. Then Plunkett McCormack, driving forward and breaking through multiple tackles and tapping over with the left boot, inspirational score from the veteran defender.

There was still time for another two quick points, Paddy Marley finishing a nice move with a point, James McKeever providing the final pass, after good defending by Mark McKeever & Plunkett McCormack. Paul Courtney then kicked a massive free kick from the side line, 45 metres out.

Killeavy had the last chance of the half, however, Ballyhegan net-minder Jonny McKeever saved with his legs as several Killeavy men threatening goal.

Half Time: Ballyhegan 1.10 Killeavy II 0.02

Killeavy pointed from free kick inside the opening two minutes of the second half.

Davitts then produced a goal chance, Ronan Devlin placed his shot just wide of the post, after running onto a break down again from Michael McKeever before the visitors got their second of the half and fourth overall.

Ballyhegan full back Mark McKeever then ventured up the field and kicked a super point with the outside of his boot from the right hand side of the field, after intercepting a Killeavy free kick.

A minute later big Michael McKeever again caused problems for the full back line, as he palmed a high ball down to James McKeever, who kicked between the posts, to restore the eleven point advantage from half time.

Philip Kelly put the result beyond doubt with the Davitts second goal of the game. A tidy and composed finish to the corner of the net, Paul Courtney kicking the direct ball to Micky McKeever, who again broke the ball to the inrushing Kelly.

With the game entering the final quarter, Paul Courtney got his third score of another strong midfield performance, converting a '45.

Killeavy replied straight away with their fifth point.

A few minutes later Mark McKeever collected the ball in defence and burst out delivering a long pass to brother Michael in full forward, he laid off to Conor Loughran, who hit a cheeky dipping shot over the keeper and off the post. Philip Kelly was on hand for the rebound, stylishly curling a the ball over the bar with his left boot.

With ten minutes still to play Ballyhegan scored their final score of the game. Jack Wilson buried the ball to the back of the net at the second attempt, after the keeper dived low to save the opening effort.

Killeavy pointed the final point of the game shortly before the final whistle.

Full Time: Ballyhegan 3.14 Killeavy II 0.06

In defence Mark McKeever, Sean McNally and Plunkett McCormack stood out again, easily getting the better of their direct opponent and influencing the game going forward.

In attack Jack Wilson fielded well around the middle & delivered some good ball into the full forwards.

Michael McKeever caused the Killeavy full back problems all day, directly involved in several scores. Paddy Marley and Philip Kelly terrorised the Killeavy back line both scoring 1.04 a piece.

Next up:

Reserves Away to Collegeland Wednesday 7.30pm

Seniors Away to Dromintee II Sunday 2pm

Ballyhegan Team lined out as follows:

Jonny McKeever, J. Murphy (M. Hamill, 34), M. McKeever 0.01, S. McNally (R. McCormack, 50), R. Devlin, P. McCormack 0.01, T. Keegan, P. Courtney 0.03 (1f, 1'45), J. Guy, J. Wilson 1.00, C. Morgan (G. Hagan, 10), James McKeever 0.01, P. Kelly 1.04 (2f) (E. Reynolds, 50), Michael McKeever, P. Marley 1.04 (2f) (C. Loughran, 34)