News‎ > ‎

Seniors Defeated in Annaghmore

posted 25 Jul 2011, 03:02 by Shaun-Marty Lawless   [ updated 25 Jul 2011, 23:36 ]

Friday July 22nd

Annaghmore Pearse’s v Ballyhegan Davitt's

A glorious sunny evening in Annaghmore welcomed Ballyhegan for yet another Division III derby clash. Annaghmore would be seeking to gain revenge for a heavy defeat in the reverse fixture earlier in the year in Ballyhegan.

Annaghmore looked the hungrier side racing into a huge lead, scoring two excellent goals & three points without reply.

Ballyhegan’s had to wait until 22nd minute of the first half before James McKeever rattled a goal, Shane McCormack collecting the high ball & Paul Nixon supplying the final pass.

Annaghmore scored another point from play before Paul Nixon got on the score sheet for the visitors, finding space on the left, from a Paul Courtney pass, and a nice finish with the young attacker’s right boot.

Annaghmore scored their third goal of the game in injury time, yet there was still time for Mel Courtney to bag Ballyhegan’s second goal of the game, a neat finish from a Paul Nixon pass.

Paul Nixon was then fouled off the ball & he closed the gap to five points, converting the resultant free kick, just before the half time whistle.

Half Time: Annaghmore 3.04 - Ballyhegan 2.02

Annaghmore again showed impressive running from defence and midfield areas scoring another five points without reply, and the Davitt’s keeper Johnny McKeever was forced into a full stretch save, however the match was now out of reach for Ballyhegan.

Aidan Kelly scored a nice point at the half way stage of the half, but Annaghmore replied with two converted free kicks.

James McKeever converted a free kick and Niall Fearon scored a consolation goal after linking well with substitute Eoin Reynolds.

Eoin Reynolds scored Ballyhegan’s final score of the game in injury time, but his score was sandwiched by two more Annaghmore points leaving eight points the deficit at the final whistle.

Full Time: Annaghmore 3.13 - Ballyhegan 3.05

Davitt’s never really challenged in this game, and were dominated in all areas of the field. In truth the margin of this defeat could have been worse which was disappointing for a sizeable travelling support.

However, the team still was able to create three goals and had a great chance to bounce back just two days later!

Ballyhegan Team lined out as follows:

Johnny McKeever, J. McCann (S. McNally, 40), M. McKeever, G. Quinn, A. Kelly 0.01, P. McCormack, T. Keegan, P. Courtney, M. Courtney 1.00, J. Wilson (J. Murphy, 48), J. Guy, P. Nixon 0.02 (1f) (E. Reynolds 0.01, 37), N. Fearon 1.00, S. McCormack, James McKeever 1.01 (1f)