News‎ > ‎

Senior Men Shine in Clady

posted 22 Jun 2012, 01:22 by Shaun-Marty Lawless

Wednesday April 20th 2012 Junior League

Clady, Sean South v Ballyhegan Davitts

A pleasant evening in Cladymore, Wednesday past, hosted the Division III league fixture between Clady and Ballyhegan, both teams with aspirations of top half finished before the upcoming division split.

The Ballyhegan men started brightly, Shane McKeever converting a free-kick from the touchline thirty metres out and from the kick out, Conor Williamson won possession, Mark Hughes supporting well to supply James McKeever to shoot for his opening score in the opening minutes of the game.

Conor Williamson’s impressive tackling, forced a turnover a couple of minutes later, and he kicked a point with relative ease.

Mark Hughes popped his first score of the game over in the fifth minute, following good work from John Guy, then Conor Williamson, showing good hunger and winning plenty of ball, scored two more points, putting the visitors six points up after ten minutes.

Shane McKeever then scored his second of the day, selling a super dummy with his left & shooting accurately with his right, following more good industry from John Guy around the middle, and early substitute Paul Nixon, in attack.

Paul Nixon then threatened the Clady goal, denied by a super save from the Clady net minder, having been put through with a super direct free kick from Paul Courtney, however, the keeper was beaten less than a minute later by full forward James McKeever, who dummied & finished low to the corner, super finish, after good work from Aidan Kelly & Paul Nixon again.

A minute later Paul Nixon made a good run to collect a corner ball in space, and passed to James McKeever again, to increase the Davitts advantage to eleven points, at the end of the first quarter of play.

Paul Nixon continued to make an impact in the forward line, converting his first point, after combining with older cousin Shane McKeever, then setting up Mark Hughes for a simple score, showing good improvisation, flicking a long John Guy pass back into play.

Paul Courtney and Shane McKeever finished the scoring in the first half, with two more points, both from play, following intense hustling by the Ballyhegan attack, forcing the turnovers.

A super first half, Davitts controlled all aspects of the game, leading by fifteen points at the half time interval.

Half Time: Clady 0.00 – Ballyhegan 1.12

The Clady midfield won possession from the restart and released their dangerous, nippy corner forward for the first time, only to see his shot blast into the side netting from an acute angle.

A wakeup call for the visitors, and they responded perfectly. Full forward James McKeever did well to hold onto a long pass from the wing, under pressure, laying off to Shane McKeever who quickly played a pin point pass inside releasing Paul Nixon, to deliver a side footed shot to the corner of the net; a devastating attack, putting the result beyond doubt, early in the second half.

Clady got their first point five minutes into the second half, good overlapping creating space, for a simple tap over.

Paul Nixon and Shane McKeever combined well again, to allow Mark Hughes to take his third point of the game, and Hughes was taken down a minute later as he shot for goal, a penalty awarded, and Big Paul Courtney stepped up, confidently striking low to the corner of the net (0.01 - 3.14).

Still twenty minutes remaining Davitts continued to dominate, James McKeever striking a high effort over the top of the post and wide, Paul Nixon with his second point, and Mark Hughes with his fourth, this time from a free kick, awarded for a foul on James McKeever.

The Clady keeper was forced into another superb save this time from a low drive from the excellent John Guy, put through on goal by a clever Eoin Reynolds reverse pass, after an excellent burst forward from the old hand in defence Tony Keegan, a day after celebrating his thirty third (aprox.) birthday!

Clady tagged on a second point, and their star keeper was called on again, saving another rasping effort this time from Mark Hughes.

Substitute Geard Morgan got his name on the score sheet, with a nice point, Eoin Reynolds exchanging the one-two pass creating the space for shooting.

In the closing stages of the game, Clady earned a penalty kick, awarded for a foot block, but the penalty was well saved by Jonny McKeever. There was still time for Conor Williamson to add his fourth point from play, to end a very impressive hour in the Blue jersey!

Full Time: Clady 0.02 – Ballyhegan 3.17


This was an excellent team performance from Ballyhegan. Good movement, passing interplay, clinical finishing and hunger as a team, fighting for possession all over the field ensured a very comfortable win and impressive score line.

Defence was sound once more, Midfield were totally dominant & worked their socks off & our attack’s movement and finishing was as good as it has been all year.

Conor Williamson and James McKeever produced their best display for the Davitt’s.

We wish a speedy recovery to Michael McKeever, who had to retire after only ten minutes of the game, no luck big fella!


Next up:

Seniors away to Derrynoose Sunday Night 6pm

Seniors home to Belleek Wednesday Night 7.30pm

Ballyhegan Team lined out as follows:

Jonny McKeever, J. Murphy (D. McKeever, 47), M. Courtney, Mark. McKeever, T. Keegan, C. Morgan, R. Devlin (J. McCann, 47), P. Courtney 1.01 (1.00 pen), J. Guy, S. McKeever 0.03(1f) (E. Reynolds), C. Williamson 0.04, A. Kelly, M. Hughes 0.04 (1f), James McKeever 1.02, Michael McKeever (P. Nixon 1.02, 10 (G. Morgan 0.01, 47))