News‎ > ‎

Senior Men Lose Opener

posted 14 Apr 2013, 10:09 by Shaun-Marty Lawless   [ updated 14 Apr 2013, 10:25 ]

Sunday April 14th 2013

Intermediate League

Ballyhegan Davitts v Wolfe Tone, Derrymacash

Ballyhegan's Senior men got the 2013 season under-way on Sunday with a tricky opener to 2012 Senior League outfit Wolfe Tones.

Heavy rain over the weekend left the pitch sodden, difficult to read the bouncing ball, and very slippery for the players. That accompanied by a strong swirling wind meant this fixture was never going to develop into a classic.

The hosts got a dream start with Aidan Kelly striking a goal in the opening minutes of the game.

Ballyhegan continued to dominate possession, however unable to make the possession count and Wolfe Tones equalised with a goal of their own, before the quarter hour mark.

The Derrymacash outfit then took the lead in the nineteenth minute with a point from play, before a couple of Philip Kelly converted free kicks, awarded for fouls to Philip & James McKeever, restored the Davitts advantage.

However it was the Tones who would finish the half the stronger, with the conversion of two free kicks, entering the interval with the smallest of advantages.

Half Time: Ballyhegan 1.02 Wolfe Tones 1.03

The Davitts conceded a killer blow in the opening two minutes of the second half, as the visitors scored a somewhat fortuitous goal that seemed to loop over the head of Ballyhegan net-minder Jonny McKeever.

Ballyhegan responded immediately. Philip Kelly played a pass to Paddy Marley, who won possession ahead of his marker & the opposition goalkeeper, spun and kicked over his shoulder to score a fine point.

Wolf Tones then had a twenty minute period of dominance in the game in which they scored four points without reply & put the result beyond doubt, despite an impressive work-rate from the Ballyhegan team.

Conor Williamson finished the scoring 6 minutes from the end with the pick of the scores on show. Excellent work from Conor Morgan & Jack Wilson in defence, then Paddy Marley laying the ball off & the big centre forward struck a mighty effort between the sticks under serious pressure as he received a late knock for his efforts!

Unfortunately two second half points were not enough to take any point from this opening fixture.

Full Time: Ballyhegan 1.04 Wolfe Tones 2.07

Frustrating afternoon for Ballyhegan, unable to take advantage of long periods of possession, as the final ball into our full forward line was all to easy to mop up, with the Tones deployed sweeper excelling.

Although conceding two goals the Ballyhegan defence was superb, Paul Courtney & Mark McKeever won high and low ball & tenacious as ever in the tackle. Tony Keegan & Conor Morgan's intelligent positioning broke up a number of attacks & provided the platform for most of the Ballyhegan attacking forays.

Jack Wilson in midfield got through a mountain of work, and had an excellent hour's football, capped off with a fine fetch in the Ballyhegan square near the end.

Conditions didn't really suit our forwards but Eoin Reynolds & Aidan Kelly's defensive work did not go unnoticed, turning over possession several times to the Davitts advantage.

Nothing to be feared from this division!

Ballyhegan Team lined out as follows:

Jonny McKeever, J. Murphy (R. McKeever, 43), P. Courtney, M. McKeever, T. Keegan, C. Morgan, J. Guy, M. Hughes, Jack Wilson, E. Reynolds (S. McCormack, 56), C. Williamson 0.01, A. Kelly 1.00, P. Kelly 0.02 (2f), James McKeever (C. McCann), P. Marley 0.01