News‎ > ‎

Senior Men Defeated in Grange

posted 4 Jul 2011, 02:41 by Shaun-Marty Lawless

Sunday July 3rd

Grange St Colmcille’s v Ballyhegan Davitt's

Ballyhegan Senior Men made the short trip to face division III high-flyers Grange on Sunday evening.

The hosts got off to a brighter start scoring a point from play, in the opening minute of the game and a goal chance soon followed, but squandered by the Grange attacker.

Eoin Reynolds got the Davitt’s on the score sheet in the fourth minute, cutting in from the left hand side & popping a neat score over with his right boot. However, the Grange replied within a minute, making up for their earlier goal miss, by taking full advantage of a goal keeper mistake & finish to the back of the net.

John Guy scored a fifth minute point, following some super build up involving Eoin Reynolds, Aidan Kelly & Paul Nixon and following some good play from Sean McNally & Cathal McNeice, Paul Nixon was fouled, and converted the resulting free kick himself, reducing the Grange advantage to a point.

‘The’ Grange then restored their goal advantage with two quick points, both from play as the game entered the second quarter.

Aidan Kelly replied for the visitors, showing his long range accuracy, following some decent Davitt’s possession, worked up the field out from defence.

Ballyhegan were soon level again, Paul Courtney splitting the posts in the 21st minute & a minute later Philip Kelly scored from close to the right hand touchline, after receiving a quick line ball.

Davitt’s then had a good goal chance of their own; Paul Courtney, Kevin Keegan & Eoin Reynolds developed opportunity, but the Grange men defended stoutly & got bodies behind the goal bound efforts.

The hosts retook the lead in the closing stages of the half, a score from play in the 27th minute, despite good defensive tracking from Philip Kelly & a converted free kick a minute later to go two in front.

In injury time Plunkett McCormack made a trademark surge from the centre of defence, only to be fouled within shooting range. Paul Nixon stepped up to score, Grange in front at the half time whistle, by the minimum.

Half Time: Grange 1.05 - Ballyhegan 0.07

Ballyhegan got a great start in the second half. Possession won by John Guy fielding a high ball around the middle, good interchange between Eoin Reynolds & Kevin Keegan unlocking the Grange defence for Paul Nixon to smash into the net off the cross bar, putting the Davitt’s into the lead for the first time.

Paul Nixon followed up with a point from play a few minutes later to put a goal between the sides.

Before the tenth minute in the second half, this deficit was wiped out, as the Grange got their second goal of the game, and they retook the lead from a free kick a few minutes later.

Aidan Kelly got his second score of the game, another fine long range effort to level the sides entering the final quarter of the game.

Unfortunately this was to be the last score of the game for the Davitt’s as the hosts scored three points from play in the following five minutes, leaving Ballyhegan needing a goal to get something from the game.

It was the hosts however, that got the goal in injury time. County Minor star Ethan Rafferty, fisted the ball to the net from a free kick, confirming both points for the Grange & strengthening their promotion hopes!

Full Time: Grange 3.09 Ballyhegan 1.09

An entertaining game of football played in glorious conditions. Ballyhegan will feel this game was theirs for the taking; however no score in the final quarter of the game proved the killer.

In defence substitute Tony Keegan had a fine game, breaking up possession on numerous occasions. Gavin Quinn also had a strong game keeping his man quiet and reading the game very well. Plunkett McCormack again was immense!

In midfield Mark Hughes battled well, but needed more support with breaking ball. John Guy picked up a lot of ball, used possession wisely and scored a nice point.

In attack Aidan Kelly scored two lovely points & put in a great shift, eventually asked to curb the threat of a Grange danger-man in the second half.

Paul Nixon was again the major score threat for Ballyhegan, out in front every time & finished with an impressive 1.03.

Ballyhegan Team lined out as follows:

J. McKeever, S. McNally (T. Keegan, 10), Mark McKeever, G. Quinn, C. McNeice, P. McCormack, R. McKeever (J. Wilson, 48), M. Hughes, J. Guy 0.01, A. Kelly 0.02, P. Courtney 0.01,  P. Kelly 0.01, Eoin Reynolds 0.01 (S. McCormack, 58), P. Nixon 1.03 (2f), K. Keegan (P. Marley, 53)