News‎ > ‎

O'Rahilly’s Defeat Davitt's

posted 6 May 2011, 02:16 by Shaun-Marty Lawless   [ updated 6 May 2011, 14:43 ]

Thursday May 5th

Collegeland O'Rahilly’s V Ballyhegan Davitt's

Ballyhegan visited local rivals Collegeland on Thursday evening for the first fixture of a double weekend of local derby matches.

Ballyhegan started off playing against the wind in the first half, but both sets of players seemed to struggle, as the game would be littered with mistakes & wide shooting.

The opening score of the game came in the fifth minute, James McKeever scoring for the visitors from the angle on the right.

Collegeland then scored two quick goals to take a five point lead in the game, with only eleven minutes gone.

Gary McKeever replied for the Davitt’s two minute’s later, a nice strike with the left boot, and Mark Hughes converted a big free kick, from 45 metres out, 3 points now the difference.

The O’Rahilly’s increased their lead to five points with two more quick points from play, before a high ball was let bounce in the Ballyhegan full back line, hitting the post, another dangerous moment for the Davitt’s rearguard.

The final point of the half went to the hosts. Collegeland breaking yet another Ballyhegan attack, & working the ball forward well to score a terrific point from a counter attack.

A half littered with mistakes & a succession of wides, Collegeland were good value for their six point lead at the break.

Half Time: Collegeland 2.03 - Ballyhegan 0.03

Now playing with the strong breeze, Ballyhegan needed a big half to claim the points from this tricky local fixture. Mark Hughes opened the second half scoring a point from play, however the O’Rahilly’s wing-back replied, racing 50 metres to score a super point.

Paul Nixon then pointed from a free kick after Mark Hughes was fouled again, after catching Jonny McKeever’s kick-out.

Collegeland then scored a point from play followed by their third goal of the game increasing the deficit to nine points & what looked like an unassailable lead. The direct high ball played into full forward Brian McGeary who turned & planted the ball in the back of the net.

Mark Hughes replied straight from the kick out, Jack Wilson catching & feeding his midfield partner to pint from play.

A minute later Mark received his second yellow card followed by a red, after a late tackle.

The game now approaching the last quarter, the result seemed secure for the hosts, as they pointed again to return the nine point lead. Game Over?

The young Davitt’s showed great spirit and rallied with a goal from James McKeever, following decent build up play involving Shane McCormack and Conor Williamson.

A second goal soon followed from Paul Nixon then burying a low drive from an angle to breathe life into the match again!

Substitute Stefan McNally pointed from play following a Paul Nixon pass and after James McKeever was fouled, Paul Nixon reduced the deficit to the minimum with five minutes remaining. It seemed Ballyhegan had the extra man in this devastating five minute spell. Paul Nixon, Jack Wilson & Plunkett McCormack driving Ballyhegan forward!

The home side were not to be denied though, tagging over 2 late points to win the game, a goal the final margin, Collegeland the deserving victors.

Full Time: Collegeland 3.08 - Ballyhegan 2.08

Terrible first half littered with mistakes. However an entertaining second half ensued.

On a disappointing night for the Davitt’s, Gavin Quinn and Plunkett McCormack stood out in defence, whilst Paul Nixon was best in the forwards.

Mark Hughes & Jack Wilson won their midfield battle.

Ballyhegan Team lined out as follows:

Jonny McKeever, Sean McNally, J. Murphy (J. McCann), G. Quinn, Mark McKeever, P. McCormack, A. Kelly (C. McNeice), M. Hughes 0-03 (1f), J. Wilson, J. Guy, P. Nixon 1-02 (2f), G. McKeever 0-01 (D. Kelly), C. Williamson (Stefan McNally 0-01), S. McCormack (Michael McKeever), James McKeever 1-01