News‎ > ‎

Minors Defeat Eiré Óg

posted 23 Apr 2012, 04:23 by Shaun-Marty Lawless   [ updated 23 Apr 2012, 23:52 ]

Monday April 16th 2012

Linwoods Minor League

Ballyhegan Davitts v Eiré Óg

Ballyhegan Minors open their league campaign against Éire Óg. Played in wet conditions, from the word go the Davitts led the attack and had two wides within the first two minutes. Then on the third minute the   Ógs opened the scoring with a well taken point.
The Davitt's Mark Devlin won the short kick out, passed it to Finbar Hamill and with some nice play between Finbar and Patrick Marley the ball reached the forward line, as the Ballyhegan players were going for the ball they were fouled in the square resulting in a penalty. Jack Rafferty stepped up to the mark and fired the ball into the back of the net. On the ninth minute Conor McCann won a kick out and passed the ball to Conall McKeever who worked the ball to left corner forward Aaron Hughes. Seeing that the shot was not on he passed to Finbar Hamill who kicked it over the bar to leave a three points margin.
At this point Éire Óg started to dominate the game and they scored three well taken points. The defence tackled well and ensured that the Ógs were pressurised at all times.  On the 23rd minute of play the Ógs were reduced to 14 players when one of their players was injured and they had no replacements. In a good will gesture, the Ballyhegan management team decided to play with 14 players. It was not long until right corner back Conor McGlinchy won the ball  and passed it to centre Half Back Gerald Malone  who soloed it up to PJ  McNally.
Battling against a determined Éire Óg defense PJ managed to get a free. Conall Mckeever stepped up to the mark and scored a well taken free. On the last few minutes of the half Conor Holland was fouled. Jack Rafferty converted the free to leave the half time score in favour of Ballyhegan 1-3 to 0-4.

Half Time: Ballyhegan 1.03 Eiré Óg 0.04

The second half saw Thomas Kearney replace Conall McKeever who had received an injury right on half time. Éire Óg began the attack or a better description, the onslaught of Ballyhegan’s defence at the start of the second half. During this time goalkeeper Eoin Hughes made a number of excellent saves to prevent Éire Óg from getting a goal. The ogs hit a purple patch and  scored 6 points before Ballyhegan’s full forward Conor Holland scored a text book point from play as a result of some fine play by Thomas Kearney.  This was quickly followed by a lovely point from PJ McNally.The second half also saw three other Ballyhegan substitutes Seanie Perry,  Finton Nixon and  Tiernan Power being added to the game. Éire Óg remained in the lead for most of the second half until the last five minutes when Tiernan Power scored a goal. In the last minutes Aaron Hughes scored a fine point from play. This left the sides 2-6  0-10.

Full Time:  Ballyhegan 1.03 Eiré Óg 0.04

The players know they were fortunate to get the win despite not playing up to scratch and also due to the the constant Eire og pressure. However they great deserve credit for persevering to the final whistle and eventually getting the scores to secure the win. There was a good effort from all the Ballyhegan players over the hour.
We wish Conal McKeever a speedy recovery! Many thanks to Éire Óg for the good game. Next match is against Wolfe Tones.

The Ballyhegan panel was as follows:

Aaron Hughes , Aaron McNally  , Conall McKeever , Conor Holland ,Conor McCann , Conor McGlinchy , Eoin S Hughes, Finbar Hamill  , Finton Nixon , Gerald Malone , Jack Rafferty , John McBride (Injured) ,  Mark Devlin , Niall O'Hagan , Patrick Marley , PJ  McNally , Seanie Perry ,Shane Morgan ,Thomas Kearney ,Tiernan Power ,