News‎ > ‎

Middletown v Ballyhegan

posted 18 Mar 2015, 09:31 by Jarlath McCann
Sunday 15th March 2015
Middletown v Ballyhegan Davitts
Ballyhegan travelled to Middletown for a 1pm throw in on Sunday past for their third challenge game of the preseason. A fantastic second half performance was enough to ensure an impressive victory in a high scoring encounter.
The Davitts started off the brighter side taking the lead through right half forward Rory McKeever after 2 minutes. The hosts drew level with a free kick a minute later before Ballyhegan replied with 3 points unanswered through Shane McKeever, Daniel McKeever and from Conor Loughran following good work from Paul Nixon and Mark Hughes. Middletown pulled one back with James McKeever extending the visitor's lead to 3 points with a nice score on 15 minutes. Middletown fought their way back into it scoring 3 points without reply over the next 15 minutes. The Davitts were creating chances in this period but could not make it show on the score board. They kept persisting however and Rory McKeever split the posts following a good run on 28 minutes to bring parity to the game. Middletown however went on to hit 1-01 in injury time to go in with a 4 point lead.
Half time: Middletown 1-07 - Ballyhegan 0-06
The Davitts opened the scoring in the second half through corner forward Conal McKeever but the hosts replied with another goal soon after. Ballyhegan were not deflated and hit 3 points in a row through Thomas Reynolds from the right, a Conal McKeever free kick and a score from James McKeever being set up by PJ McNally. Just like at the end of the first half the hosts hit a goal and a point in quick succession to build a 7 point lead approaching the midway point of the half. Ballyhegan, to their credit responded in fine style however, registering 1-05 without reply in a 10minute spell to regain the lead. PJ McNally won and converted a free, midfielder John Guy pointed following good work in defence from Joey Murphy, Conal McKeever increased his tally 2 either side of a Thomas Reynolds effort from the left then substitute Gerard Morgan banged in a goal from close range. With 5 minute left Middletown scored a free but The Davitts replied with a further 3 points to secure the victory through Gerard Morgan following good build up play from Conor Morgan and Paddy Marley, another Conal McKeever free kick and Rory McKeever's third point of the day.
Full time: Middletown 3-09 - Ballyhegan 1-18
This was a very encouraging performance from the Davitts. Although a little wasteful in front of goal in the first half, they kept at it and played some great football scoring 1-12 in the second half. Still, it's only one game and there is a long road infront of us yet but a good performance none the less. 
Ballyhegan team lined out as follows: Joseph McKeever, R McCormick, C Morgan, Shane McKeever, C Loughran 0-01 (J McAtarsney), P McCormack (J Murphy), T Reynolds 0-02 (P Marley), M Hughes, J Guy 0-01 (M Hamill), R McKeever 0-03, P Nixon, James McKeever 0-02 (G Morgan 1-01), C McKeever 0-05 (2f), Shane McKeever 0-01, D McKeever 0-01 (PJ McNally 0-01f)