News‎ > ‎

Local Derby Victory

posted 25 Apr 2016, 06:06 by Ballyhegan Davitts

Sunday 24th April 2016

Ballyhegan 1-9 v Collegeland 1-6

Ballyhegan Park was the setting for the Davitts first derby of the season and also their first home league game of 2016 after the Killeavy game was called off, because of the heavy rain two weeks earlier.

The sun was shining and the pitch had been cut, spiked and rolled it was ready for action, Davitts attacking Hewitt’s field end in the first half. The game took a while to settle down and it was Collegeland who got the first score of the game from a free, Ballyhegan responded through Conor Loughran after he was set up by Paul Nixon.
Jack Rafferty got the next two points for Ballyhegan, the second one a fine team score after four Davitts where involved before Jack spilt the posts. Collegeland responded with their second and final score of the half, another free. The final five minutes of the half belonged to Ballyhegan where they scored 1-2 without reply. The goal came from Conal McKeever after Paul Nixon’s shot hit a post, Rory McKeever was first to react and took the sensible option of laying the ball off to Conal who found the bottom of the goal. From the resulting kick-out possession found James McKeever who fisted over his first score of the day. Conal then finished the score of the first-half with a point from play, leaving the half-time score Ballyhegan 1-5 Collegeland 0-02.

Collegeland had to come out fighting in the second half and started the brighter of the two teams getting the first two scores, one a free and the other from play. Ballyhegan replied with a Mark Hughes point and Paddy Marley then got in on the act with a point after 48 mins. Collegeland came back with two more scores to show they weren’t finished yet. James McKeever increased the lead with his second point on 52 mins. Collegeland needed goals at this stage and where starting to threaten. Mel Courtney and Daniel McKeever where working hard to keep them out, but the Davitts defence got cut open on (55mins) a tactical foul by Jonny McKeever resulted in him shown a black card and a penalty to Collegeland.

With Jonny having to go, Tiernan Power was called upon to replace him. The first thing he had to face was a penalty, and was very unlucky not to save it as he got a hand to it, but the ball was in the net - GAME ON! The score was now 1-8 to 1-6. Collegeland felt they had time to get another goal for the win and keep pushing and pressing but great chasing back from Thomas Reynolds stopped a certain shot at goal. With time near up Ballyhegan broke up the field and the ball fell to Rory McKeever who steadied himself and popped the ball over the bar.
This looked to seal victory for Ballyhegan but time wasn’t up yet and Collegeland pushed on looking for a second goal, the final act of the game saw the ball crash off the Ballyhegan post as Collegeland so near clinched a draw.

This is a game Ballyhegan should have been out of sight in, their dominance in the first half should have left them with a more commanding lead at half-time and kicking 15 wides overall will not please management. Next up is the re-fixture against Killeavy II’s at home on Friday night before an away trip to O’Hanlon’s on Sunday.

Ballyhegan Team: J McKeever (C) (T. Power) 55mins , R McCormick, M Courtney, J McAtarsney (T Reynolds) 44mins, C Morgan (C McGlinchey) 39mins, C Loughran (0-01), S McKeever, M Hughes (0-01), J Rafferty (0-02), R McKeever (0-01) P Marley (0-01), J McKeever (0-02), D McKeever, P Nixon, C McKeever (1-1)