News‎ > ‎

League opener at Pearse Ogs

posted 6 Apr 2014, 10:29 by Jarlath McCann
Sunday 6th April 2014

Pearse Ogs II v Ballyhegan Davitts

A windswept Pearse Og Park played host this opening Junior 'A' league fixture at midday on Sunday. Following some impressive pre-season displays the Davitts were hoping to build on this and get the league campaign off to a winning start .

It took a while for the teams to settle into the game with both sides hitting several wides in the opening 5 minutes. The Ogs opened the scoring with a point on 7 mins with Ballyhegan responding 3 mins later through a great long range effort from Mark Hughes.
The Ogs took the lead again twice only to be pegged back each time by the boot of corner forward Eoin Reynolds, first from a free following good build up play from Conor Morgan, James McKeever, John Guy and player-manager Plunkett McCormack, and for the second time with a nice left footed effort. Ballyhegan then took the lead a minute later on 21 mins through half-forward James McKeever, beating his man and curling an effort between the posts from the left hand side.
Ballyhegan 'keeper Jonny McKeever pulled off a great save on 23 mins but the Davitts conceeded a free before the ball could be cleared which came off the post and straight to an Ogs forward who finished into the net from close range. The Armagh men pointed again 4 mins later to leave 3 points the difference only for Plunkett McCormack to pull 2 back in quick succession. The Ogs would then register the final score of the half with a point after 32 mins.

Half time: Pearse Ogs II 1-05 Ballyhegan 0-06

Ballyhegan started the second half the brighter of the two teams with 2 points without reply bringing the game level after 36mins. The first came 2 mins in from Eoin Reynolds, beating his marker before pointing with Plunkett McCormack adding to it 4 mins later converting a free after being fouled.
Pearse Ogs then went on to hit 3 unanswered points before Ballyegan replied midway through the half with a point from Gerard Morgan, dummying well before splitting the post after good build up play from centre half forward John Guy and midfielder Conor Williamson.
The Ogs hit back with a free after 49 mins to which Ballyhegan replied 5 mins later with a great score from Conor Morgan, collecting the ball after a great run from deep and taking an excellent point on the run. The hosts then hit 2 more points either side of another Eoin Reynolds point. Unfortunately this would prove to be the last score for the Davitts with the hosts running out winners.

Full time: Pearse Ogs 1-11 Ballyhegan 0-11

All in all this was a disappointing result for Ballyhegan who failed to build on their impressive pre-season form. Up next is a local derby against neighbours Collegeland.
Congratulations to Joey Murphy who was named as team captain for the year before the match with Conor Williamson named as vice-captain. Joey led by example from the start and suffered a suspected broken nose early in the game. We wish Joey a speedy recovery as he joins an already too populated injury list.

The Ballyhegan team lined out as follows:
J. McKeever, R. Tiffney (M. McKeever, 53), R. McCormick (M.Hamill, 40), R. McKeever, C.Loughran, J. Murphy (c), C.Morgan 0-01, C. Williamson, M. Hughes 0-01, G. Morgan 0-01, J. Guy, J. McKeever 0-01, P. McCormack 0-03 (1f), S. McCormack (J. Rafferty, 40), E. Reynolds 0-04 (1f). Subs: J. Paterson, J. McKeever, M. Hamill, J. Rafferty, M. McKeever, D. McNeill