News‎ > ‎

Fifth Defeat for Seniors

posted 12 May 2013, 10:51 by Shaun-Marty Lawless   [ updated 16 May 2013, 00:23 ]

Sunday May 12th 2013

Intermediate League

Middletown Owen Roes v Ballyhegan Davitts

Ballyhegan's senior men visited Middletown on Sunday, still searching for the opening points of the season.

Davitt's started well, Eoin Reynolds hitting the post with the first effort of the game & Mark Hughes swinging over a the opening score for Ballyhegan moments later, however, Middletown responded with two points from play before the five minute mark.

The sides were again level in the eighth minute, Conor Williamson upended as he shot at the posts & Paddy Marley stepped up to convert the free kick.

The hosts were back in front for a short period, after kicking two more points, until the Davitts took the lead on fifteen minutes, Paddy Marley playing a one-two with Shane McCormack and clinically finishing the ball to the net, when through on the keeper.

Marley then converted another free kick, this time after a foul on Mark Hughes.

It was Middletown who finished the stronger, reclaiming the lead at the break, with three unanswered points.

Half Time: Middletown 0.07 Ballyhegan 1.03

The hosts started the second half similarly to how they ended the first half, with another three unanswered points, before Davitts midfielder Conor McCann finished off a lovely move which started in the Ballyhegan full back line with Conor Morgan, who raced up the middle of the field, Eoin Reynolds supplying the final pass.

Middletown wrapped up the points in the middle third of the second half, kicking another two points and a goal meaning the Davitts trailed by nine entering the final ten minutes.

Mark Hughes kicked his second point of the game, good work from Conor Morgan in defence and a nice one-two, again from Shane McCormack creating the chance.

Middletown replied with another point in the next attack, before Paddy Marley scored from another free kick, awarded for a foul on Paul Courtney on the edge of the parallelogram.

The hosts kicked their final two points of the game, with five minutes remaining, their lead back to nine points but credit to the Ballyhegan men, who fought till the end.

Eoin Reynolds found space in the square and finished the ball under the keeper and into the net, Conor Morgan once again the architect, driving forward from defence playing one-two's the length of the pitch to create the space and ultimately the goal.

The final score of the game, was another converted free kick from Paddy Marley, substitute Gerard Morgan collecting a low ball excellently, and dragged down in front of the posts.

Full Time: Middletown 1.15 Ballyhegan 2.07

Conor Morgan, Tony Keegan and Shane McCormack were best for Ballyhegan in a disappointing afternoon.

Five down and ten to go, ourselves and Clann Eireann the only sides without a point in the league. Continued teamwork and work ethic required till the end of the season... we're in a relegation fight!

Ballyhegan Team lined out as follows:

Jonny McKeever, J. McCann (M. Hamill, 56), C. Morgan, J. Murphy T. Keegan, P. Courtney, C. Loughran, C. Williamson (G. Morgan, 56), C. McCann 0.01, S. McCormack, J. Wilson, James McKeever (S. McKeever, 35), E. Reynolds1.00, M. Hughes 0.02, P. Marley 1.04 (4f)