News‎ > ‎

FAUGHART HILL HERITAGE AND LANDSCAPE

posted 16 Mar 2012, 02:32 by Shaun-Marty Lawless

BALLYHEGAN AND KILMORE COMMUNITY HERITAGE ASSOCIATION

 

FAUGHART HILL HERITAGE AND LANDSCAPE

 

  Ballyhegan and Kilmore Community Heritage Association have responded to an invitation to visit the vantage point and deposit of authentic heritage material at Faughart Hill in the townland of Tullymore Saturday 24 March at 11.00 AM.

Faughart Hill is often mentioned in accounts of the Battle of the Diamond, however, the attraction on this occasion is of a much earlier vintage.

 

The site is home to a mud walled farm dwelling complete with Crick roof and a paved floor. These features have been assessed by the historic monuments branch as being at least 300 years old. Unlike other such examples this building has not been altered and remains as it was when occupied by the ancestors of the Mc Keever family who still farm there. There is also a one room labourer’s cottage – vacated only in 1947. Another striking aspect is that the late nineteenth century replacement dwelling has also been retained on the site while the present day dwelling is sited a short distance away. Visitors will have the opportunity to view the nearby Rath – this is an even earlier manifestation of people living on this hill (If visiting the Rath footwear suitable for walking on a grassy field should be worn)

 

This is a very well placed vantage point to view the countryside with its farms and orchards for many miles around on a day at the height of spring. Everyone is welcome. Morning coffee will be provided..

To get to Faughart Hill:  Turn off Red Lion Road on to Tullymore Road Loughgall,  the lane leading to Faughart Hill is about a half mile along on your left.

There is ample parking space at McKeever’s farmyard.


Faughart Hill, Tullymore




Comments