News‎ > ‎

Derby defeat to Annaghmore

posted 28 Jun 2013, 15:21 by Shaun-Marty Lawless

Friday June 28th 2013

Intermediate League

Ballyhegan Davitts v Annaghmore Pearses

A lovely evening in Ballyhegan on Friday as high flying near neighbours Annaghmore, visited in an eagerly awaited Intermediate league fixture.

A big crowd turned out to watch Annaghmore storm into the lead with a brace of points and a goal in the opening five minutes. 

The visitors advantage was six points on the quarter our mark, before the Davitts took some control of the game. A high Paul Courtney free kick, was caught on the line by Jack Rafferty, laid off to John Guy, who blasted to the net!

In the last ten minutes of the half, Mark Hughes started to influence the game in the half forward line and was dragged down twice in five minutes for free kicks, Paddy Marley stepping up to convert both kicks.

In the final couple of minutes big Hughesy kept a wide effort in play for John Guy to register another score, kicking the ball over the bar this time and then was first to react, as Paul Courtney's effort came off the post, to swing the ball over the bar with his left boot, to put Ballyhegan a point up at the break.

Half Time: Ballyhegan 1.04 Annaghmore 1.03

The Pearses started the second half identical to the first with two points and a goal in the opening stages.

It almost got worse for the Davitts on forty minutes, as the visitors pressed for more goals. Jonny McKeever got his finger tips to a long ball inside ahead of an Annaghmore attacker, Tony Keegan was on hand to clear the danger. The ball wasn't long returning, this time Joey Murphy and Mark McKeever combined to halt another threatening attack.

The visitors managed to score another goal and two points, taking a nine point advantage into the final ten minutes of the game. Ballyhegan then registered their first point of the half, a minute later, Mark Hughes with his second point of the game, doing well to keep his accuracy under severe pressure.

Annaghmore kicked another three points, to lead by double figures approaching the end of the game, but there was still time for Jack Rafferty to be taken down in the areas for a penalty, unfortunately the talented Annaghmore keeper, dived to his right and saved the low driven penalty from Paul Courtney.

The visiting keeper was called into action twice more in injury time, first saving from a James McKeever pile drive, from the angle and finally from Paddy Marley, after an exciting slalom run, Paul Courtney and Mark Hughes involved in the build up.


Full-Time: Ballyhegan 1.06 Annaghmore 3.10


Unfortunately the movement of a pacey Annaghmore attack caused the Ballyhegan defence lots of problems, whilst in attack our forwards found space hard to find, as they were often outnumbered.

Joey Murphy was probably the pick of the defenders, whilst in attack Mark Hughes was involved in most of the Davitts scores. Once again Jack Rafferty continues to impress, seeing plenty of ball, and causing his marker lots of trouble.

Ballyhegan Team lined out as follows:

Jonny McKeever (James McKeever, 54),T. Keegan, C. Morgan, M. McKeever, R. McCormack, P. McCormack (M. Hamill, 54), J. Murphy, P. Courtney 0.01 (1 '45), J. Wilson, M. Hughes 0.02, J. Guy 1.01 (E. Reynolds, 43), J. Rafferty, G. Morgan (S. McKeever, 43), S. McCormack (James McKeever, 54 ), P. Marley 0.02 (2f)