News‎ > ‎

Davitts Win Penultimate League Game

posted 23 Sep 2015, 15:41 by Ballyhegan Davitts   [ updated 24 Sep 2015, 02:50 by Jarlath McCann ]
Tuesday 22nd September 2015
Armagh Junior A League Rd 14
Ballyhegan Davitts v Clonmore

Ballyhegan went in to this game against Junior Championship finalists and neighbours Clonmore needing a win to keep their promotion push alive. 
They got off the mark in the first minute with a fine point from the left hand side by Morgan after being set up by Tony Keegan. Corner back Roger McCormick made a fantastic block to thwart Clonmore's first attack soon after leading to a fast Davitts counter resulting in a free which Paddy Marley coolly converted to double the lead. Centre half-forward Ronan Devlin then added Ballyhegan's third point in the fifth minute with the Davitts seemingly comfortable in the game so far. Clonmore launched another attack which saw a high ball in cross the end line before being fisted back into play and subsequently in to the Davitts net. After some confusion the referee declared that ball had gone wide first therefore the goal would not stand. The resulting kickout was intercepted by a Clonmore forward who fired it into the top corner to immediately level the game. They took the lead two minutes later converting a free kick to go a point up. Corner forward Conal McKeever levelled the game with a point from play before Clonmore added another free. The Davitts equalised with a free kick from Paddy Marley who also gave the hosts the lead going into the break when he pointed from play following good attacking play from Jack Rafferty and Ronan Devlin.

Half time: Ballyhegan 0-06 Clonmore 1-02

Marley continued where he left off before the break hitting the opening score of the half from a dead ball. Substitute Mel Courtney then linked with Marley to provide Conal McKeever with a scoring opportunity which he took. He was on target again five minutes later to further extend the Davitt's lead. Ronan Devlin then added his second of the game to give Ballyhegan a 5-point lead ten minutes into the half. Clonmore pulled one back despite the heroic defensive efforts of Roger McCormick and Daniel McKeever. The pivotal moment in the game came midway through the half when Jack Rafferty bust through the ranks to fire a shot at goal. The keeper saved the effort but managed only to parry it back into play and Jack duly dispatched the rebound into the back of the net. Another Clonmore point from play was cancelled out by substitute James McKeever. Tiernan Power made a great tackle to win back possession and fed McKeever who danced by 3 defenders before splitting posts with a fine solo effort. Clonmore pulled 2 more back, both free kicks before the final whistle blew.

Full time: Ballyhegan 1-11 Clonmore 1-07

This was an impressive performance from Ballyhegan against the Championship finalists, though they will feel they could have won by more but for some wayward passes at key moments. It sets the Davitts up well for the must win final game against Belleek at home on Sunday 27th September.

Ballyhegan team lined out as follows: J McKeever (c), R McCormick, M McKeever, J Murphy, S McKeever (R McKeever), A Morgan 0-01, T Keegan, M Hughes (T Power), J Guy (M Courtney HT), R McKeever (G Morgan HT), R Devlin 0-02 (J Guy), J Rafferty 1-00, D McKeever, P Marley 0-04 (3f), C McKeever 0-03 (J McKeever 0-01)