News‎ > ‎

Davitt's sink Blackwater men

posted 11 Jul 2011, 00:50 by Shaun-Marty Lawless

Ballyhegan Davitt's v An Port Mór O’Neill’s

The Davitts welcomed O’Neill’s, An Port Mór to Ballyhegan on Friday 8th July in what was anticipated to be one of the classic matches of the season. With both teams so close in the league, following the Blackwater men’s recent resurgence, the importance of this game ensured both teams would battle for every ball.

In the third minute Cathal McNiece soloed the ball from the half-way line before passing the ball to Mark Hughes who the popped the ball over the bar to open the score for the Davitt’s.

Mel and Paul Courtney began to win the midfield battle and in the fifth minute Jack Wilson won the breaking ball passed to Philip Kelly who side stepped three O’Neill’s men and passed it to Mark Hughes, who realizing that a goal shot  was on passed it back to Philip Kelly to  blast to the back of the net. Davitts four points up.

Despite a blanket defence lead by Tony Keegan, Mark McKeever and Gavin Quinn, O’Neill’s opened their score with a nice point from play in the seventh minute.

Rory McKeever passed the ball to Cathal McNiece who cut in from the left hand side & popped a neat score over with his right boot.

Port Mór continue to pressurise the Davitt’s defence and they got three points from play.

Ballyhegan then scored two connective points by Kevin Keegan  both points were results of good  play by Ballyhegan’s half forward line lead by Jack Wilson, John Guy and Philip Kelly.

In the 27th minute Plunkett McCormick won the ball passed it to Eoin Reynolds who then popped it over the bar for a fine score. And in the closing minutes of the first have Kevin Keegan and Mark Hughes scored two points to leave the Davitt’s half time advantage 5 points.

Half Time: Ballyhegan 1.07 - An Port Mór 0.05


The second half started with Port Mór scoring 5 points without reply.

Johnny McKeever performed a number of good saves to ensure that the Davitts did no concede a goal.  It wasn’t until the 12th minute that Philip Kelly opened the scoring for Ballyhegan. This was the result of some great play from Rory Mckeever and Plunkett McCormick.

Once again Mel and Paul Courtney began to dominate midfield with Gavin Quinn and Cathal McNiece playing as sweepers to win the braking ball this resulted in two fine taken points by Philip Kelly and Mel Courtney.

In the 15th minute of the second half John Guy won the braking ball he passed it to Kevin Keegan who put it into the back of the net.

Eoin Reynolds was then substituted for Paddy Marley. As the rain came down the Davitt’s consolidated their lead by a further three points from Mark Hughes, Jack Wilson and Paddy Marley to secure the well earned points for Ballyhegan.


Full Time: Ballyhegan 2.12 - An Port Mór 0.12

This was a fine performance by the Davitt’s, played in difficult conditions. Speaking after the match club chairman Charlie McKeever praised the players for their efforts and thanked both the referee, Joseph Murtagh and An Port Mór for the hard fought game.

Ballyhegan Team lined out as follows:

J. McKeever, T. Keegan, M. McKeever, G. Quinn, C. McNeice, P. McCormack, R. McKeever , P. Courtney, M. Courtney, J. Wilson , J. Guy, P. Kelly, K. Keegan, M. Hughes , E. Reynolds