News‎ > ‎

Davitts Minors suffer first defeat

posted 21 May 2012, 14:30 by Shaun-Marty Lawless

Monday May 21st 2012

Linwood's Minor Division 3A League

Ballyhegan Davitts v Thomas Davis Corrinshego

Ballyhegan hosted Corrinshego on Monday evening, in the first game of the new all county league, with confidence high following on from their 100% record in the north division.

The young Davitts started well, Conor McCann winning the throw in, Patrick Marley and Finbar Hamill then working the ball forward for Jack Rafferty to coolly pop over the bar, for the opening score of the game.

The South Armagh visitors then took control of the possession around the middle of the field, seemingly first to every ball for a devastating twenty minute spell, scoring 2.04 without reply.

Jack Rafferty confidently stepped up to convert a free kick awarded for a foul on Shane Morgan to halt the the oppositions momentum.

Good Ballyhegan defending from Aaron McNally, Mark Devlin and Finbar Hamill forced the very dangerous Corrinshego forward line away from goal, however the clever and patient attack worked the ball back out and kicked a long range score from play.

Corrinshego finished the scoring in the first half with another point from play, despite the best efforts of Finbar Hamill who injured himself in an attempt to tackle and block the opposition danger man.

Half Time: Ballyhegan 0.02 Corrinshego 2.07

Davitts again won the throw in for the second half, however Corrinshego's sharp defenders repelled the Ballyhegan attack once more.

Another onslaught from the Corrinshego attack pursued, and the Davitts defence manfully stood firm putting their bodies on the line for multiple blocks. First young Joe McKeever in nets saved low. Aaron McNally then saved two almost certain goals with two diving blocks in two minutes and Joe McKeever was again forced into another excellent low save, as the ball seemed destined for the corner for the net.

Corrinshego managed to break the defence ten minutes into the second half with a point, but Jack Rafferty replied soon after with his third point of the game, converting another free kick awarded as the opposition charged Aaron Hughes, good defending from the Davitt's attacker.

Despite some excellent defending from Conor McCann, Corrinshego managed their second score of the half a minute later.

Joe McKeever produced another excellent save from close range, as the visitors threatened to walk the ball into the net, but was powerless to prevent the follow up thirty seconds later.

Jack Rafferty got the final score of the game, from a free kick awarded for a late foul on himself, and there was still time for Joe McKeever to pull off yet another close range save to complete a fine individual performance.

Full Time: Ballyhegan 0.04 Corrinshego 3.09

The twenty minute spell in the opening half won the game for the impressive Corrinshego side. An improved second half performance gives the Ballyhegan team hope for the remainder of the league and the approaching Championship fixture.

The two stand out players for Ballyhegan were Joe McKeever in nets, who had multiple saves, and Jack Rafferty in midfield, who put in a tireless shift, covering every blade of grass and scoring all four Ballyhegan points.

In defence Aaron McNally and Finbar Hamill stood out, Conor McCann's strength assisted. Unfortunately Finbar had to retire early injured – Get well soon!

In attack Shane Morgan, particularly in the second half, performed well.

Ballyhegan Team lined out as follows:

J. McKeever, A. McNally, J. McBride (C. Cullen, 30), M. Devlin, F. Hamill (J. McBride, 37), C. McCann, J. Rafferty 0.04 (3f), P. Marley, Nial Hagan, S. Morgan, A. Hughes