News‎ > ‎

B Championship

posted 4 Jun 2011, 09:05 by Shaun-Marty Lawless

Carrickcruppen V Ballyhegan

The Ballyhegan convoy rolled in to Carrickcruppen on the evening of Wednesday 25th of May. From a Ballyhegan point of view the match got off to a slow start. The first 12 minutes were dominated by Carrickcruppen as they went six points ahead, four from play and two from frees. To their credit the Ballyhegan lads did not drop their head but kept calm and eventually their luck changed. On the 14th minute Barry Murphy won the breaking ball, he passed it to James McKeever and then on to Barry Quinn. Barry was brought down and then Conall Gallagher converted the free to a point to open Ballyhegan’s first score. It was at this point that the Davitts came to life and began to dominate play. Young Dermott Tiffney and James Mckeever set the mid field a light with their fast play. On the 15th minute Cathal McNiece passed the ball to Philip Kelly who soloed the ball up the middle of the field at speed, side stepping at least four Carrickcruppen players and popped the ball over the bar for a much deserved point. Despite their youth and in experience Ballyhegan forward line , Conor Loughran, Cathal McCann and Conall Gallagher continued to lead the assault on the South Armagh team. Barry Quinn missed a goal chance in the 15th minute. The Carrickcruppen Goalkeeper then kicked a short kick out that was won by Cathal McCann who passed it to Conor Loughran and then to Dan McKeever who then fired it into the back of the net. Ballyhegan continued to apply the pressure with points from Conall Gallagher, James McKeever and Philip Kelly to Carrickcruppen one point. This left the score at have time Carrickcruppen 0-7 Ballyhegan 1-5.

The second half started with Carrickcruppen on the attack. Unlike the first half Ballyhegan came out fighting with Barry Quinn missing a goal opportunity in the second minute. Despite the solid Ballyhegan defence, Carrickcruppen went four points ahead. At this stage of the game Ballyhegan introduced Dermot Kelly as a replacement to Conall Gallagher. On the 19th minute Carrickcruppen went a further point ahead before Philip Kelly scored a really classic point aided by the excellent play of Dermot Kelly. Ballyhegan scored a further two points from the boot of Conor Loughran and James McKeever. In the closing minutes of the game Carrickcruppen scored a further two point to leave the full time score Carrickcruppen 0-15 Ballyhegan 1 -8. Even though Ballyhegan were beaten there was a lot of positive taken from this game. Firstly with a little bit of guidance our younger members of the B team are capable of playing senior football, the full forward line comprised of players 19 years of age and younger. Second of all with a little more experience of B/ Senior football Ballyhegan could have easily won the game. Looking at the team it is difficulty to pick out who was man of the match for Ballyhegan. They all gave a hundred percent. Just remember lads what was said at half time by Dermot Tiffney.

Speaking after the game Donal McKeever one of the B manages said that he was proud of the team and thanked all of the players young and old for their efforts. He also thanks Carrickcruppen for playing a very sporting and friendly game. All the B players are reminded that Senior training takes place every Tuesday and Friday evenings. Please contact Peter McKeever for times.

The team lined out as follows

Eoghan Patterson,Roger Mc Cormick,Chris O Carroll,Jarleth McCann,Barry Murphy, Aidan Kelly Cathal McNiece, James McKeever Dermot Tiffney,Philip Kelly,Dan McKeever,Barry Quinn,Conor Loughran,Cathal Mc Cann,Conall Gallagher, Dermot Kelly, James McKeever