News‎ > ‎

Ballyhegan v Lissummon

posted 12 May 2015, 08:15 by Jarlath McCann
Friday 8th May 2015
Simplyfruit Armagh Junior A Football League Rd 5
Ballyhegan Davitts v Lissummon
A late pitch inspection was caried out by referee R Watters before allowing this game to go ahead following heavy rain in the area on Friday past. Conditions were not going to allow for a footballing spectacle but both sides made the most of them to produce an entertaining game. 
Lissummon got off to the better start despite the Davitts opening the scoring in the first minute through corner forward Paddy Marley who was on the receiving end off a nice ball in from midfielder Mark Hughes. Lissummon replied with 2 points, one from a free, to go into the lead. Ballyhegan levelled soon after but were unlucky not to take the lead as centre half forward John Guy crashed a shot on to the crossbar. Half forward Rory McKeever was first to react to the loose ball, collecting and feeding it back out to Guy who sent it over to level the game. The visitors then found the back of the net in the most fortuitous of circumstances. As a long ball was sent in, the referee, it seemed, blew his whistle. Naturally, players on both sides stopped awaiting the decision. The long ball landed in the Davitt's net and surprisingly the goal was allowed to stand. The visitors landed another sucker punch minutes later. Dispossessed too easily in attack and with men out of position, Ballyhegan were in trouble as Lissummon broke at pace down the pitch finishing a slick move in the back of the net to open a 6 point lead on 17 minutes. The sides then exchanged points with Conal McKeever pointing a free following a foul on Paddy Marley for the hosts then Paddy turned scorer a couple of minutes later. In the dying stages of the half Ballyhegan managed to tag on another 2 points to lessen their task in the second period. Midfielder Jack Rafferty slotted over after a strong burst from the middle and Conal McKeever with another dead ball.
Half time: Ballyhegan 0-06 Lissummon 2-04
Finding themselves 4 points down at half time Ballyhegan were still confident going into the second half as they were yet to hit their stride in this game. They dominated the opening stages of the half and pulled the deficit back to one point following scores from Conal McKeever, one close range free and another from play, and a score from the right following a great passage of patient build-up play, recycling the ball from one side of the pitch to the other before taking the score. Ballyhegan's comeback seemed to breath a bit of life in the visitors as they rattled off 3 points without reply to re-establish their 4 point lead. Going into the closing stages the Davitts still didnt feel the game was beyond them. They chipped away with further points coming from the fist of full forward Paul Nixon, the reliable free-taking boot of Conal McKeever and a fine long range effort from Mark Hughes. This left the minimum between the sides once more with only minutes remaining. The Davitts managed to create a goal chance right at the death and with the keeper beaten, a Lissummon defender somehow managed to prevent the ball from going over the line and effectively sealing the victory for his side.
Full time: Ballyhegan 0-12 Lissummon 2-07
Once again, as in the previous 2 games, a poor first half proved to be the Davitts undoing. Although much improved and the better side in the second half, once again we failed to make it over the line. Confidence can be taken from these second half performances but we must start getting off on the right foot once again as our Championship campaign gets underway on Saturday night against St Pat's IIs at 18.00 in the Athletic Grounds.
Ballyhegan team lined out as follows: Jonny McKeever (c), Roger McCormick, Mark McKeever, Ronan Devlin, Tony Keegan, Shane McKeever, Mark Hughes 0-01, Jack Rafferty 0-01, Rory McKeever, John Guy 0-01 (Joey Murphy 53), Daniel McKeever (James McKeever 48), Paddy Marley 0-02, Paul Nixon 0-01, Conal McKeever 0-06 (4f)