News‎ > ‎

Ballyhegan Davitt's v Forkhill Peadar O' Doirnin

posted 15 Aug 2011, 01:43 by Shaun-Marty Lawless

Sunday August 14th

Ballyhegan Davitt's v Forkhill Peadar O' Doirnin

Ballyhegan were first on the score sheet in the opening minutes. Paddy Marley was fouled in possession, and Paul Nixon converted the resulting free kick with his right boot.

A minute later Jonny McKeever was forced into action, as he brilliantly saved a point blank shot from the Forkhill full forward.

Davitt’s attacker Kevin Keegan raced through the middle to point in the fifth minute, following a well read interception from Paddy Marley.

Forkhill got on the score sheet in the seventh minute from a free kick, but Ballyhegan’s Shane McCormack scored the point of the game a minute later from out on the left, creating space  with a one two pass and striking over from 30 metres out with the outside of the right boot.

The hosts strengthened their grip on the game in the tenth minute, midfielder Paul Courtney converted a ’45 then a couple of minutes later he collected a huge kick out from Jonny McKeever, and promptly split the posts from 30 metres out, four points now the difference.

Torrential downpours then upset the remaining flow of the game, as errors from both sides made the game a scrappy affair, however, Ballyhegan moved into a seven point lead in the eighteenth minute of the first half. Shane McCormack and Paul Courtney combined to release Eoin Reynolds through on goal, who dummied to create space off his marker and clinically finish to the net.

Forkhill added two points to their tally before the end of the half to reduce the deficit to five points at the break.

Half Time: Ballyhegan 1.05 - Forkhill 0.03

In the opening stages of the second half, Aidan Kelly dispossessed a Forkhill defender and won a free kick. Kevin Keegan attacked down the wing in front of the stand, passed to Jack Wilson who picked out Paul Courtney in space, and the big midfielder extended the Davitt’s advantage to six.

Unfortunately this would be the last score for Ballyhegan for twenty minutes, as several opportunities were wasted. Forkhill scored their two points and two goals without reply in a ten minute spell that eventually would win the game.

With ten minutes remaining, Mel Courtney kicked a fine score to reduce the deficit to the minimum; Joey Murphy again winning possession in Ballyhegan’s half.

However, the visitors replied a minute later, the final score of the game leaving two points the difference at the final whistle.

Full Time: Ballyhegan 1.07 - Forkhill 2.06

One of those days for Ballyhegan, as they dominated for the majority of the game. Unfortunately unable to convert multiple scoring chances with several balls either dropping short into the keeper’s hands, or drifting wide of the posts. In the end the South Armagh opposition punished these missed chances by scoring two second half goals to take both points.

Best for Ballyhegan was undoubtedly Joey Murphy, who produced a marvelous display in defence, reading the game well, breaking up possession, & delivering low accurate passes to the forwards.

Jonny McKeever in nets, returned to form with a couple of excellent saves, & his kicking in the most part was superb. Ronan Devlin at wing back had a fine game back in the side following injury and travels. Paul Courtney at midfield led by example, scoring three good points & Shane McCormack in attack put in a battling display when moved out around the middle.

Good to see Conor Morgan making his comeback from a long injury lay off.

Ballyhegan Team lined out as follows:

J. McKeever, J. Murphy, C. Morgan, T. Keegan, J. Wilson, P. McCormack, R. Devlin (C. Williamson, 52), P. Courtney 0.03 (1f, 1’45), M. Courtney 0.01, K. Keegan 0.01 (S. McKeever, 55), P. Marley, A. Kelly, E. Reynolds 1.00 (P. Kelly, 51),  S. McCormack 0.01, P. Nixon 0.01 (1f)