News‎ > ‎

Ballyhegan v Killeavy II's

posted 3 May 2016, 06:47 by Ballyhegan Davitts   [ updated 3 May 2016, 06:51 ]

Friday 29th April 2016

Ballyhegan 2-12 v Killeavy II’s 0-12

The Davitts where back at home again on Friday past to play the re-fixture against Killeavy that had been called off on the opening weekend of the league season; it was a fine spring evening, a great night for a game of football.

Ballyhegan played towards Hewitt’s field end in the first half, but it was Killeavy that opened the score with a point from a free after two minutes. The lead didn’t last long as Tiernan Power equalised after quick thinking from Jack Rafferty (to hit a quick free). Killeavy took the lead again through their midfielder, and extended it a minute later. Ballyhegan came back with points from Conal McKeever - who had come on to replace the injured Conor Loughran - and
  James McKeever bringing the sides level at 3 apiece.  Both sides exchanged the next couple of scores with Ballyhegan’s points coming from Mark Hughes after being set up by James McKeever. Killeavy then took a two point lead again and where showing Ballyhegan they were well up for the fight, Jack Rafferty then hit back for Ballyhegan after some great fielding from Mark Hughes.  Rory McKeever, back in his preferred half-back role, received a quick free from Paddy Marley to bring the sides back level again. Paul Nixon then give Ballyhegan the lead from a free after good work from Mark Hughes saw him getting fouled. This left the half-time score Ballyhegan 0-07 Killeavy 0-06 all to play for.

Jack Rafferty got the first score of the second half, but Killeavy responded well and took the next two scores and we were all square again. Conal McKeever put Ballyhegan in front but Killeavy drew level a minute later. The next few minutes was when the game changed in Ballyhegan’s favour. Mark Hughes converted a free to put the hosts ahead and from the resulting kick out the Davitts went forward and Paul Nixon found the net, after being set-up by Rory McKeever - a four point lead for Ballyhegan. Moments later Ballyhegan should have had another goal only for a great goal line clearance from Killeavy’s number 8. Paddy Marley then got in on the scoring act with a pointed free and four minutes later he had the ball in the Killeavy net after being played through by Jack Rafferty. The score was now 2-11 to 0-09.

Killeavy kicked the next score before Conal McKeever got Ballyhegan’s last score of the night after Mark Hughes played the ball into him. Killeavy kicked the final two scores of the game as Ballyhegan eased off. This win keeps Ballyhegan’s good start to the league going, though it has to be said this wasn’t a great game of football and Ballyhegan’s passing skills left a lot to be desired.

What will please Ballyhegan management is that they are still unbeaten and the fact that two debutants Conor McGlinchey and Niall Crummie both did well. Next up for Ballyhegan is another derby game away to Clonmore on Friday 6
th May at 7.30pm then away again on Sunday 8th
May to Poyntzpass at 2pm.
Ballyhegan Team: J McKeever (C), R McCormick, M Courtney, C McGlinchey , R McKeever (O McCaw 61), C Loughran (C McKeever 0-03  0-01 free) (K Turbet 61), S McKeever, M Hughes (0-02  0-01 free), J Rafferty (0-02), N Crummie (L McGrane 51) P Marley (1-01), J McKeever (0-01), D McKeever, P Nixon (1-01 0-01 free), T Power (0-01) (S McCormack 51)